About CTC Aviation
We are a global professional pilot training and resourcing company, providing innovative solutions in true partnership with our customers.
Our latest generation training centres and resources are located at attractive, well-connected and convenient locations in Southampton, UK, Phoenix, USA and Hamilton, New Zealand.
We provide a wide range of aviation services from ab initio trainee pilot selection, training and airline placement, to the more advanced selection, training and provisioning requirements for experienced pilots, instructors and examiners.
Airline Pilot Career Programme
Flybe is Europe’s leading regional airline and is partnering with CTC Aviation to deliver exciting career opportunities for tomorrow’s airline pilots.
This new CTC WINGS Multi-crew Pilot Licence (MPL) Route is a part-sponsored programme with Flybe contributing significantly towards the total cost of your training.
Also characterised by CTC Aviation’s unique benefits and enhancements, this airline-focussed career programme aims to take you directly to the role of First Officer on board a Dash-8 Q400 aircraft with Flybe – an airline that excels in offering career advancement opportunities to newly qualified pilots.
Being selected and mentored throughout by Flybe, you will be fully prepared for your future role. The programme also offers the option of incorporating a BSc (Hons) Degree in Professional Aviation Pilot Practice into your training.
En-route through training you will join fellow trainee pilots to experience the skies in spectacular parts of the world as never before; as well as sharing adventures and making new friends that will last a lifetime.
- Fully mentored and supported CTC WINGS programme from Flybe in partnership with CTC Aviation
- Conditional offer of employment from Flybe prior to commencement of MPL training
- Employment as a co-pilot with Flybe on completion of Dash-8 Q400 aircraft type training
- Provision of CTC Aviation’s unique ‘Performance Protection’ *
- Part-sponsored: loan of £23,760 from Flybe
- Simple fee structure with a phased payment profile
- Option to include a BSc (honours) degree in professional aviation pilot practice from UK-based middlesex university with potential access to a student loan **
- Training on the latest generation EFIS and TAS-equipped aircraft and simulators Including upset prevention and recovery training (UPRT)
*Subject to Bank lending criteria and assessed on an individual basis
**Subject to eligibility criteria
Application and selection process
Airline Resourcing & Selection Centre UK and Flybe, Exeter
A comprehensive selection process including assessment events with both CTC Aviation and Flybe.
- 2 Days
MPL / ATPL Theoretical knowledge training Classroom and computer-based UK or NZ
Classroom and iPad/computer-based UK or NZ
We integrate the use of Computer-Based Training (CBT) with self study and tutor-led instruction from some of the best instructors in the industry
- Approximately 26 weeks
Aircraft flight training
Single-engine piston aircraft USA or NZ This is the flight training element of the core phase of the MPL syllabus that sets it apart from a traditional flight training programme. Flying the EFIS C172/DA40, you’ll learn the fundamentals of visual flying, basic instrument flying, night flying, Upset Prevention and Recovery Training (UPRT).
- Approximately 22 weeks
Multi-pilot flight training
B737-700/300 FTD simulator UK
Experiencing a multi-pilot environment for the first time, we introduce you to the Boeing 737 and jet operations for your instrument flight training.
An Initial Crew Resource Management (CRM) course covers Threat and Error Management training (TEM) and your Basic phase concludes with Line Orientated Flight Training (LOFT) and Upset Prevention and Recovery Training (UPRT).
- Approximately 11 weeks
Intermediate Multi-pilot training
B737-800 NG full-flight Jet simulator UK This phase will develop your advanced handling skills on our full-flight B737-800 simulators and begin your introduction to Flybe SOPs.
LOFT covers more complex scenarios, TEM training is further developed and you will complete the intermediate phase with Upset Prevention and Recovery Training (UPRT).
- Approximately 7 weeks
Airline type specific training
Dash-8 Q400 aircraft with Flybe UK
The Advanced Phase in MPL is akin to type rating training. You will now move onto the Dash-8 Q400 and, using Flybe’s full airline SOPs, you will learn to handle more complex system failures and emergencies in readiness for your Licence Skills Test (LST).
- Approximately 8 weeks
Flybe line training
Line Flying UK and Europe with Flybe
Initial Operating Experience (IOE) and Line Check. You will also complete Safety, Emergency and Procedures training.
- Approximately 10 weeks
Successful graduation from this MPL Route will provide you with
- A Multi-crew Pilot Licence on Dash-8 Q400 aircraft with Flybe
- MPL/ATPL Theoretical Knowledge and examination passes
- Dash-8 Q400 Aircraft type rating
- Bsc (Honours) Degree in Professional Aviation Pilot Practice
(if elected as an option)
Upon commencement of co-pilot flying with Flybe, you will continue to gain Initial Operating Experience (IOE) which will conclude with a final ‘line check’ with a Flybe training Captain. This experience may also contribute towards your BSc Degree (if elected as an option).
The funding required for the complete CTC WINGS MPL Route in partnership with Flybe is £93,800.
- Flybe will loan £23,760 (including VAT)
- The remaining £70,040 will be payable in 3 instalments
- The part-sponsored loan monies will be repaid to Flybe from your salary using a salary sacrifice scheme over a period of 5 years.
- Your Dash-8 Q400 Type Rating will be funded by Flybe but you will be ‘bonded’ for a period of 3 years.
Funding options are available through a number of financial institutions including BBVA and ATPL Finance Limited.
If the BSc Degree option is selected:
- For more information refer to both the BSc Honours Degree and Finance and Funding Information Guides
- Food and living expenses
- CTC Aviation selection fee
- EASA Class 1 medical fee – EASA scale of charges
- Travel and medical insurance
- Insurances to protect life, finance and training expenses
- All training, equipment, uniform and airfield fees
- Sponsorship from Flybe (see page 3)
- CTC WINGS Performance Protection from CTC Aviation
- Self-catered accommodation for all phases of training
- Air travel to either NZ or US
- All CAA exam and skills test fees - initial (and retakes if required)
- EASA MPL Licence issue fee
Performance Protection - From CTC Aviation
Unique to our CTC WINGS airline pilot career programmes, our ‘Performance Protection’ gives you peace of mind during training by providing the following (with no additional fees):
- All additional training – ground and flight
- All re-testing – ground examinations and flight skills tests
- All UK CAA regulatory charges (initial and retest) for ground examinations and flight skills tests
- A refund of any fees paid by you for training and testing services should we cease your training due to your skills falling below the minimum competence required for professional pilot licence issue; less a deductible of £5,000
- be at least 18 years of age to commence training
- have the unrestricted right to live and work in the EEA and Switzerland
- 5 x GCSEs at Grade C or above including Maths, English and a Science (single or dual award) and either 2 x A-Levels or academic equivalents at C or higher, or An Honours Degree at 2:2 or higher (also acceptable will obviously be higher degrees such as MSc, PhD, MBA etc)
- be fluent in English (verbal and written)
- produce a CRC (Criminal Record Check) Basic Disclosure Certificate before training can commence
- be able pass a UK CAA Class 1 medical examination prior to commencement of training
- minimum height 5’2” (1.58 m) , maximum height 6’3” (1.91 m) *
*Applicants for CTC WINGS should be between 1.58 m (5ft 2 inches) to 1.91 m (6ft 3 inches) in height. Applicants who fall outside of this may still apply for CTC WINGS; however will be required to undergo an ergonomic assessment in our training aircraft and jet flight simulators prior to being accepted onto a CTC WINGS ab initio training course. Some airlines may impose strict height limits in accordance with the range shown, which could preclude you from placement with that airline post CPLIR training if you fall outside this height range.
NB. Visit naric.org.uk for international academic comparisons
- Click on the ‘apply now’ button
- Complete the online application form and click ‘submit’
- You will receive an auto-response to acknowledge receipt of your application
- Your application will be screened by a member of the CTC Aviation selection team
- You will be contacted by email by a member of the CTC Aviation selection team to inform you whether your application has been successful
- If successful, you will be invited to attend an assessment day. These usually take place at CTC Aviation’s Airline Resourcing & Selection Centre - Dibden Manor, UK
- A final interview will take place at Flybe for those who meet the CTC WINGS and Flybe selection requirements.
- If not selected by Flybe, those meeting the CTC WINGS standards through the selection process will be eligible to enrol on the CTC WINGS Integrated ATPL Route ctcaviation.com/wingsENROLMENT
Need more information?
Our airline pilot careers advisers are available Monday - Friday 0900-1800 UK time.
Call +44 (0)2380 742 400 or make an online enquiry
Route guide 05
Our Route Guide describes the career programme in more detail.
Our Info Guide describes the degree option in more detail.
Our Info Guide describes the selection process in more detail.
Finance and funding
Our Info Guide describes the finance and funding in more detail.
Our Careers Events enable you to discover more about us - in person.
Our Prospectuses describe CTC Aviation, our facilities and our services in more detail.
Signup for updates
Sign up to receive all the latest news on training and events right into your own inbox.