The 2016 application window for the CTC WINGS Virgin Atlantic Future Flyers Programme is now closed.
ABOUT CTC AVIATION
We are a global airline pilot training and resourcing company, providing innovative solutions in partnership with our customers. Our latest generation training centres and resources are located at attractive, well-connected and convenient locations in Southampton, Bournemouth, London Gatwick and Coventry (UK), Phoenix (USA) and Hamilton (NZ).
We provide a wide range of aviation services from trainee pilot selection, training and airline placement, to the more advanced selection, training and provisioning requirements for experienced pilots, instructors and examiners.
CTC WINGS provides full-time airline pilot career programmes for both our individual and airline customers - underpinned by unique ‘Training Sponsorship’ and ‘Performance Protection’ opportunities.
CTC Aviation is an L-3 Commercial Training Solutions company.
AIRLINE PILOT CAREER PROGRAMME
Virgin Atlantic is one of the world’s most iconic airlines and has partnered with CTC Aviation to deliver innovative solutions for airline pilot training.
This CTC WINGS Multi-crew Pilot Licence (MPL) airline pilot career programme – ‘Virgin Atlantic Future Flyers’ – is at the leading edge of airline pilot training innovation.
Selected and mentored by Virgin Atlantic from day one, you will embark upon a unique Route of training that will take you to the role of First Officer on Airbus A330 aircraft, flying long-haul routes across the globe.
Throughout your training, you will join fellow trainee airline pilots to experience the skies in spectacular parts of the world as never before; as well as sharing adventures and making new friends that will last a lifetime.
- Fully mentored and supported CTC Wings programme from CTC Aviation in partnership with Virgin Atlantic
- Employment as a First Officer on Airbus A330 aircraft with Virgin Atlantic on successful completion of training
- Provision of CTC Wings ‘Performance Protection’ from CTC Aviation
- Access to a ‘Training Bond Sponsorship’ solution from CTC Aviation
- Repayment of ‘Training Bond’ (over nine years) in addition to salary once fully employed by Virgin Atlantic
- Option to include the Middlesex University BSc (honours) degree in professional aviation pilot practice with potential access to uk government student loan funding*
- Training on the latest generation EFIS and tas-equipped aircraft and simulators including upset prevention and recovery training (UPRT)
*Subject to eligibility criteria
Application and selection process
CTC Aviation Airline Resourcing and Selection Centre and Virgin Atlantic, UK
A comprehensive selection process with CTC Aviation and Virgin Atlantic. Conditional job offer from Virgin Atlantic if successful
- Two days
ATPL Theoretical knowledge training
Classroom and ipad/computer-based, UK
We integrate the use of Computer-Based Training (CBT) with self study and tutor-led instruction from some of the best instructors in the industry
- Approximately 26 weeks
Aircraft flight training single-engine piston aircraft, NZ & UK
The Core flying phase of the MPL syllabus is designed from the outset to build the Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes (KSAs) that are the cornerstones of an airline safety culture and differentiate it from traditional single pilot flight training offered on other courses. Training is airline focused and competency-based from day one. Flying the EFIS C172, you’ll learn the fundamentals of visual flying, basic and procedural instrument flying and night flying, and conduct Upset Prevention and Recovery Training (UPRT) on a high performance piston engine aircraft.
- Approximately 22 weeks
Multi-Pilot flight training
A320 Jet simulator, UK
Experiencing a multi-pilot environment for the first time, we introduce you to the A320 and jet operations for your instrument flight training using Virgin Atlantic’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
An Initial Crew Resource Management (CRM) course covers Threat and Error Management training (TEM) and your Basic phase concludes with Line Orientated Flight Training (LOFT) and Upset Prevention and Recovery Training (UPRT)
- Approximately 11 weeks
Aircraft type specific training
A320 Jet simulator, UK
Type-technical ground school utilises advanced CBT and Virtual Flight Deck (VFD) technology.
We develop your advanced handling skills on our motion A320 simulators utilising a more complete version of the Virgin Atlantic’s SOPs. LOFT covers more complex scenarios, TEM training is further developed and you will complete the intermediate phase with advanced UPRT
- Approximately 7weeks
Airline type specific training
A330 Jet simulator and A330 aircraft with Virgin Atlantic, UK
The Advanced Phase in MPL is akin to type rating training. Virgin Atlantic’s full airline SOPs are incorporated and you will learn to handle more complex system failures and emergencies in readiness for your Licence Skills Test (LST)
- Approximately four weeks
Virgin Atlantic line training
Long-haul line flying with Virgin Atlantic
Line Oriented Experience (LOE) and Line Check. You will also complete Safety, Emergency and Procedures training.
Employment as an A330 First Officer with Virgin Atlantic
- Approximately 10 months
SUCCESSFUL GRADUATION FROM THIS MPL ROUTE WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH:
- A Multi-crew Pilot Licence on A330 aircraft
- ATPL Theoretical Knowledge and examination passes
- A330 type rating
Upon commencement of First Officer flying with Virgin Atlantic, you will continue to gain Line Oriented Experience (LOE) which will conclude with a final ‘line check’ with a Virgin Atlantic training captain. This experience may also contribute towards your BSc Degree (if elected as an option).
- Holders of an MPL may apply for an ATPL upon meeting regulatory requirements as your Virgin Atlantic career progresses.
- An MPL does not permit you to work as a professional pilot on smaller aircraft that only require a single pilot without undertaking further single-pilot training.
- If elected as an option, you will complete your BSc Honours degree at the end of line training with Virgin Atlantic
- Supernumerary Flights - At key points during your training you will also have chance to observe flights from the flight deck of a Virgin Atlantic A330
The funding required for the complete CTC WINGS MPL in partnership with Virgin Atlantic is £109,000. This comprises a Security Bond for that amount (paid in a series of instalments) Subject to bank lending criteria, applicants may be eligible to apply for pilot loan funding.
Additional fees apply if the BSc Degree enhancement option is chosen.
For more information, refer to both the BSc Honours Degree and Finance and Funding Info Guides
- CTC WINGS ‘Performance Protection’ from CTC Aviation
- All training, equipment, uniform and airfield fees
- Self-catered accommodation for all phases of training
- Air travel to NZ
- EASA Initial Licence issue fee
- CTC Aviation selection fee
- Initial Class 1 medical and renewal fees
- Loss of medical, life and personal property insurances
- Travel insurances required by the UK and NZ immigration services
- English language testing (where applicable)
- Food and subsistence costs
- Local, personal, daily transport to and from Crew Training Centres worldwide
- You will require an iPad during training
CTC WINGS ‘PERFORMANCE PROTECTION’
Successful completion of our world-renowned CTC WINGS selection process is key to our continued placement success. It also unlocks our unique and unrivaled ‘Performance Protection’ which includes:
- All additional training
- ATPL ground examinations and flight skills tests (and any retesting) including aircraft and UK CAA fees
- A refund of any monies deposited by you to secure your ‘Training Sponsorship’ should we cease your training due to your skills falling below the minimum competence required for professional pilot licence issue, less a deductible of £5,000
terms and conditions apply
- Be at least 18 years of age by 1st June 2017
- Have the right to live and work in the UK
- Hold a minimum of 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) Grade C or above, including maths, science and English language*
- Be fluent in English (verbal and written)**
- Produce a current CRC (Criminal Record Check) basic disclosure certificate before training can commence
- Minimum height 157cm, maximum height 191cm
- Be able to obtain an EASA Class 1 medical without restrictions
*see naric.org.uk for international academic comparisons
** For non-native English speakers, you will be required to present a certificate prior to training commencement demonstrating you have achieved International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Level 5.5 overall, with no less than 5.5 in any individual area (Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking. This must be the Academic test, not General Training).
- Click on the ‘apply now’ button located at the top of this page*
- Complete the online application form and click ‘submit’
- You will receive an auto-response to acknowledge receipt of your application
NB. PPL holders may apply providing they have not attempted any EASA ATPL Theoretical Knowledge examinations
*If the window is closed or you do not meet the specific Virgin Atlantic entry criteria then you may consider applying for the CTC WINGS Integrated ATPL ‘whitetail’ Route ctcaviation.com/whitetail. Applications are open all year round.
- Your application will be screened by a member of the CTC Aviation selection team
- You will be contacted via email by a member of the CTC Aviation selection team to inform you whether your application has been successful
- If successful, you will be invited to attend a bespoke Virgin Atlantic selection day at the CTC Aviation Airline Resourcing and Selection Centre – Dibden Manor, UK
- A final interview will take place at Virgin Atlantic for those who meet the CTC WINGS and Virgin Atlantic selection requirements
- If not selected by Virgin Atlantic, those meeting the CTC WINGS standards through the selection process will be eligible to enrol on the CTC WINGS Integrated ATPL programme
Please be aware that applicants will not hear the results of their online application until approximately mid December 2016
Once you have submitted your application you will receive an automatic response to confirm receipt. Our selection team will then review your application, but due to the number of applications expected, it may take up to 8 weeks before you receive further communication from us.
The selection events with CTC Aviation will take place in January 2017 and final interviews with Virgin Atlantic for those short listed will take place during February 2017.
Course starts will be in June and December 2017
Need more information?
Our airline pilot careers advisers are available Monday - Friday 0900-1800 UK time.
Call +44 (0)2380 742 400 or make an online enquiry
Route Guide 06
Our Route Guide describes the career programme in more detail.
Our Info Guide describes the degree option in more detail.
Our Info Guide describes the selection process in more detail.
Finance and funding
Our Info Guide describes the finance and funding in more detail.
Our Careers Events enable you to discover more about us - in person.
Our Prospectuses describe CTC Aviation, our facilities and our services in more detail.
Signup for updates
Sign up to receive all the latest news on training and events right into your own inbox.